WHAT IS ATOPY?
This is the basis of autoimmune diseases with a variety of clinical symptoms associated with the production of IgE antibodies. It runs in the families in about 30% of cases. Mostly children are affected (about 20% of cases), usually up to 5 years of age, as well as infants (3-6 months of age). Usually, the sensitiser is food, inhalants (plant pollen, house dust), moulds. Atopy of mucous membranes affects the nose, conjunctiva and bronchi.
ATOPIC DERMATITIS (AD)
Atopic dermatitis is the most common atopic skin disease. It is a chronic, recurrent disease, sometimes impossible to completely cure, although in children it usually disappears on its own with age. Understanding the specificity of the disease and the available methods of treatment, however, make it possible to effectively control atopic dermatitis, and thus to reduce its nuisance to a minimum.
Potential causes and factors that aggravate the disease
It is difficult to reach an effective method of treatment of AD, due to the fact that the causes of this disease are not yet fully known. It is believed that the causes lie in both genetic factors (no characteristic haplotype has been identified so far) and environmental factors (increase in environmental pollution).
SYMPTOMS AND DIAGNOSIS OF AD
Symptoms of AD
- pruritus with varying degrees of severity
- dispersed or collective exudative clods
- skin lichenisation (in adults) - thickened epidermis that looks as if it was viewed through a magnifying glass
- dryness of the skin and excessive follicular keratosis
- brittle and dry hair
- changes on nails - the symptom of “varnished” nails
- enlarged, painless lymph nodes (with increased pruritus and extensive skin changes).
Diagnosis of AD
Correct diagnosis is facilitated by the typical location of lesions within: ulnar and knee bends, neck and face, as well as dorsal parts of the hands (most often in adults) The recurrent course of the disease and family history of atopy are typical.AD differs from the so-called prurigo (skin pruritus), and photodermatosis (summer prurigo). It is important to determine the sensitiser by performing allergy tests. These are intradermal and scarification tests. The RAST test detects specific IgE antibodies for many allergens: pollen, house dust mites, grass, animal hair and numerous food allergens.
TREATMENT OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS
PThe basic issue is to avoid contact with the identified sensitiser. Unfortunately, such identification is not always possible.
Drugs used in AD:
- anti-histamines (anti-pruritic, sedative drugs))
- corticosteroids (side effects: steroid-induced skin atrophy!)
- photochemotherapy (PUVA and SUP lamps)
- immunosuppressive and immunomodulatory drugs
- ointments, creams, lotions, shampoos.
CARE OF ATOPIC SKINJ
Vicious circle of atopic skin Atopic skin is characterized by a deficiency of ingredients that are part of the natural moisturising factor (NMF), including amino acids. The abnormalities of lipid metabolism in the epidermis are also typical, resulting in a weakening of the protective barrier of the skin and increased susceptibility to infection of the layers beneath it. The symptoms of atopic dermatitis are also a factor aggravating the disease. Dry and chapped skin makes people feel a strong need to scratch themselves to relieve this nuisance. This in turn leads to repeated disruption of the protective skin barrier. Scratching causes uncovering layers of skin lying underneath, which become even more susceptible to infections. Microbes cause further irritation, and as a result pruritus persists. The patient does not stop scratching and it is difficult to break this so-called vicious circle of atopic skin. To soothe the skin, or care in AD A very important aspect in atopic dermatitis is proper skin care. Dry, itchy and rough skin requires special care. The basis is proper moisturising and oiling, which aim is to restore the proper function of the protective layer of the skin. This is a necessity because the lack of a lipid coat makes the skin completely vulnerable. It loses water, flakes off and is less resistant to infections.
DOMESTIC SKIN CARE
1. Shower instead of bath Bathing causes excessive drying of the skin, which is why specialists recommend a shower. From time to time, you can immerse yourself in a bathtub full of water - but remember to add the appropriate preparations. The Busko sulphide SPA and peloid SPA lotion, will be a perfect solution, thanks to which you will prepare a home-made sulphide or peloid bath and reduce the nuisance of the symptoms of AD.
2. Give up the classic soap Choose rather syndets, i.e. washing agents without harmful detergents. mineral liquid sulphide soap is well tolerated.
3. Clothes should be washed in appropriate agents They should be gentle detergents - intended for babies or those with allergies. They are more gentle to the skin, reducing the risk of allergies and irritation.
4. Wear breathable clothing Do not wear clothing that promotes excessive sweating and overheating - this increases the risk of irritation. Therefore, try to wear 100% breathable clothes (e.g. cotton), avoid wool materials.
You can’t treat yourself at a health resort?
USE SPA PRODUCTS
They are only products in Poland that are produced in the standard of medications, which guarantees their high quality and effectiveness.Sulphate brine products manufactured by the licensed Pharmaceutical Company SULPHUR-ZDRÓJ from Busko-Zdrój contain the most valuable components of sulphide waters from the Solec Shaft boring of the health resort Solec-Zdrój Sp. j. and the waters of the Busko-Zdrój health resort. These waters have been known for their beneficial effects on the skin for almost 200 years. Natural SPA products based on concentrated, aqueous peloid extract - a concentrate of anti-inflammatory humic acids and valuable micronutrients are also beneficial in the fight against AD..
HEALTH RESORT AT HOME/p>
- Busko sulphide SPA – for sulphide bath and shower
- Busko sulphide body mask for compresses, bath or shower (original white, without yellow lanolin)
- peloid bath with the addition of lotion from concentrated aqueous peloid extract – peloid
- peloid „plus” or compresses, partial and total wraps – face mask. Microbiologically pure peloid with the addition of almost 20% of concentrated peloid extract.